Sample Logical Division Essay

Yuichiro Kato

ELI 084

Logical Division Essay 1.3

September 17, 1999

What kind of jobs can students take after they graduate their university? Maybe the jobs that students can take depend on their fields of study. I am a student of the Graduate School of Information Science department and major in the Basic Information Science, specializing in computer graphics. Because computer graphics are used in many fields, there are various career options that are available to graduates in my field of study. This paper will first give information about how to make computer graphics and then introduce three career options: designers of graphics processing units, manufacturers of Operating Systems (OS) and Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, and creators of game and movie graphics.

Before discussing career options in my field of study, it will be helpful to understand computer graphics which is my major. My field of study is the basis of computer graphics. Computer graphics are widely used in many situations which is not only games and movies but also every screen of computers. All computers need computer graphics technology to display everything. There are two methods to make computer graphics. The first is to generate computer graphics by using coordinate transformations and raster operations. Using this method, computers can generate computer graphics very quickly instead of lack of some precision. It is hard to generate computer graphics that have reflection, refraction, and transmission using this method. The second method is to generate by tracing light accurately. This can make very beautiful computer graphics, but it takes huge times to generate computer graphics. The faster method is used in most case. If more beautiful computer graphics are needed, other method is used. Although most people who study in this field only know the faster method, a few people know both of the methods and their advantages and disadvantages. This knowledge about both of the methods expands career options.    

First, a designer of graphics processing units can be one of the career options in the field of computer graphics. Graphics processing units are hardware used to accelerate the making of computer graphics. Recently, most computers have graphics processing units, and higher-speed graphics processing units are much in demand. Manufacturers of graphics processing units always look for new methods to generate more beautiful computer graphics quickly. In my field of study, students learn how to generate computer graphics using graphics processing units, and this way is actually based on the faster method of making computer graphics, which is the first method described above. In addition, students understand another way to generate more beautiful computer graphics, which is the second method described above. Therefore, students who graduate in the field of computer graphics can get a job of a designer of graphics processing units.  

Secondly, manufacturers of OS and CAD software are also career options in the field of computer graphics. Most of the software running on computers use computer graphics. OS and CAD in particular are inseparably linked to computer graphics. OS is the most basic software, which is needed in order to function and run other software. OS occupies many parts of process of generating computer graphics. CAD is used in architecture design, design of engineering products, and so on. During using CAD, a lot of computer graphics techniques are required. When people develop OS and CAD software, the ways to generate more beautiful computer graphics quickly are required. Thus, manufacturers of OS and CAD software can also be a career option because software of computers is strongly related with computer graphics.

Finally, creators of game and movie graphics are one of the career choices. Almost every game uses computer graphics. Recent games also have a lot of movie scenes that consist of very beautiful computer graphics. Knowledge about the basis of computer graphics is very useful to generate computer graphics using limited computational power, such as that provided by game consoles. Moreover, these days a lot of computer graphics are beginning to be used in various movies. High quality computer graphics are generally required in movies, but it takes a huge amount of time to generate such high quality computer graphics. Knowledge about the basis of the two methods, which are described above, is important to generate high speed and high quality computer graphics. Therefore, knowledge about the basis of computer graphics can be useful in situations that have some restriction or need new generation methods, so creators of game and movie graphics can be one of the career choices.

In conclusion, nowadays computer graphics, which is my field of study, are used in enormous numbers of situations; therefore, there are various career options that are available in computer industry and entertainment industry. If I gradate from my university, I will choose to be a designer of computer graphics because there is high possibility to develop graphics processing units and I like to research and develop both of software and hardware.

Number of words: 811